2007 Arctic Science Conference
The annual Arctic AAAS Division meeting washeld in Anchorage, Alaska from Sept. 24th to 26th. The conference theme was "Partnering for Northern Futures: Science • Policy • Education • Legacy • In the International Polar Year."
The importance of the Arctic is little understood in relation to global affairs. Among the eight circumpolar nations are three of the four largest in the world in geographic area. The Arctic will possibly become an important route for trade and commerce between Europe and the Eastern Pacific regions during the 21st century. Vast natural resources in the arctic regions add to its value. IPY offers an opportunity to leave a legacy brought about by the results of international collaborative science and engineering research.
Conference Symposium and Events
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- John Kelley, President, Arctic Division AAAS
- Fran Ulmer, Chancellor, UAA
- Carl Benson, Chairman, Board of Governors, AINA
- Lawrence Duffy, Executive Secretary, Arctic Division AAAS
- Carl Benson, Professor Emeritus, Geophysical Institute, UAF
- Donald Lynch, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Geography, UAF
- Lars Kullerud, Director, UARCTIC (Arendal, Norway)
- William Althoff, Geologist/Historian, Whitehouse Station, NJ
- William Streever, BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc.
- "Arctic Eight" Policies and Global Affairs
Karen Erickson, Southern New Hampshire University
- Remediation and Environmental Science
William Streever, BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc.
- Arctic Engineering
Orson Smith, Dept. of Engineering, UAA
- Food and Agriculture in Alaska
Peter Bechtel and Brian Himmelbloom, FITC, SFOS/UAF
- EPSCoR (Workshop)
- Geology and Geophysics
Sathy Naidu, School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, UAF
- Science and Politics (14th Arctic Round Table Sponsored by AINA and Arctic Division AAAS)
Albert Teich, Director of Science and Policy Programs, AAAS
- IPY Education
Lars Kullerud, UARCTIC, and David Hik, Canadian IPY Secretariat
- Arctic Resilience and Social Sciences
Maribeth Murray, Dept. of Anthropology, UAF
- Ice and Changing Access to the Arctic Ocean
Lawson Brigham, US Arctic Research Commission, and William Althoff, Historian, Whitehouse Station, NJ
- Atmospheric Sciences
Gary Hufford, NOAA/NWS
- North Slope Science Initiative
John Payne, North Slope Science Initiative, DOI/BLM
- Terrestrial Ecology
David McGuire, Institute of Arctic Biology, ACFWRU, UAF
- Biodiversity in the Seas
Rolf Gradinger, School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, IMS/UAF
- Circumpolar Health
Alan Parkinson, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Sven Ebbesson, Norton Sound Health Corporation
- Heliophysical Year / Water Modeling
Roger Smith, Geophysical Institute, UAF
- Permafrost on a Warming Planet
Jerry Brown, International Permafrost Association
- Marine Archaeology
Jason Rogers, Alaska Maritima, and David McMahan, Dept. of Natural Resources, State of Alaska
- Geography and History
Donald Lynch, Dept. of Geography, UAF
AAAS Arctic Science Conference Banquet
- Featured Banquet Speaker: David Hik, Canadian IPY Secretariat
- Master of Ceremonies: Gary Laursen, Dept. of Biology and Wildlife, UAF
Synthesis, an international juried exhibition. Download a copy of the prospectus (PDF, 72 KB) for more information.
A PDF version of the 2007 conference abstract book (PDF 5.7 MB) is available for download. The book contains abstracts for all papers and posters accepted for the 2007 conference.
For more information about the 2007 Arctic Science Conference, please contact John Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-474-5585, or Arthur Roraff at email@example.com or 907-646-9000.
For more information about the AAAS Arctic Division and division activities contact Larry Duffy, Secretary of the AAAS Arctic Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-474-7525.